pint (2 cups) sour cream
can (10 3/4 oz) condensed cream of chicken soup
cup butter, melted
tablespoon garlic salt
cup chopped onions
bag (30 oz) frozen country-style shredded hash brown potatoes, partially thawed
cups shredded Cheddar cheese (8 oz)
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- In large bowl, combine 1 pint (2 cups) sour cream, 1 can (10 3/4 oz) condensed cream of chicken soup, 1/2 cup melted butter, 1 tablespoon garlic salt, 1 cup chopped onions, 1 bag (30 oz) frozen country-style shredded hash brown potatoes, partially thawed, and 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese (8 oz); stir until well blended.
- Pour into ungreased 13×9-inch (3-quart) glass baking dish.
- Bake 45 minutes.
- Mix up the creamy potatoes and spoon them into a large slow cooker. Cook them on LOW for 4 to 5 hours, stirring occasionally. Transport them to a potluck or set them out on a buffet for a brunch.
- Sub in a large bag of frozen southern-style diced hash brown potatoes. Their chunkier texture holds up well whether baked or slow cooked, and they’re a good partner as a side dish to roasted meats.
- Make up the recipe the night before serving, cover well, and refrigerate until 30 minutes before you’d like to bake it. Let it warm up a little, slip it into the oven, and prep other more last-minute menu items.
- Sprinkle the top with chopped green onion or a handful of finely chopped parsley or other fresh herbs before serving.